The men of UUCSR hold relaxed, informal, and enjoyable gatherings several times a year where men of the congregation can deepen relationships, make new friends, and explore issues common to men. No experience is necessary. For many men, these gatherings are the first time they have ever attended a “men’s retreat.” One does not need to be in a men’s group to attend a retreat. All men who are members, pledging friends, or guests of the congregation are welcome. Read more below about our “Annual Weekend Men’s Retreat” and “Half-day Retreat Potlucks” below.
2017 Weekend Retreat October 20-22 – The 9th Annual UUCSR Men’s Retreat is tentatively scheduled to take place at St. Dorothy’s Rest. Arrive between 3pm and 5pm for Friday dinner at 6 o’clock. Formal activities end Sunday afternoon. When registration materials become available in August they will be posted here and announced in the order of service, newsletter, etc.
For more information see the following description or download last years materials at the bottom of this webpage page.
Men’s Annual Weekend Retreat – The Annual UU Men’s Retreat usually takes place on the first weekend in October at St. Dorothy’s Rest near Occidental; a 45minute drive west of Santa Rosa.
- St. Dorothy’s Rest – is the retreat destination we have always used, a venue we share with the Springtime UUCSR Women’s Retreat. Nestled among old-growth redwoods St. Dorothy’s Rest is a 580-acre camp and retreat center perched atop the town of Camp Meeker. St. Dorothy’s is California‘s oldest camp, founded in 1901 with the sacred purpose of caring for and rehabilitating sick children in nature. Being in fellowship with other men of the congregation, among the rustic and charming arts-and-crafts style buildings located in the quiet majesty of the forest, can be a “magical” place for renewal and contemplation. To learn more about the retreat center, click here for St. Dorothy’s webpage click here for St. Dorothy’s webpage
- Retreat Accommodations & Food – There are a variety of lodging options available in the “Main House” retreat building plus half a dozen neighboring cottages, each having a common room with a fireplace or wood stove. Bed linens and bath towels are provided for all accommodations and all have shared bathrooms. Most men sleep in either the few single occupancy rooms, or the 25 semi-private bedrooms. There are also three dorm rooms to spread out into. All sleeping rooms have electrical outlets. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is cooked fresh and served buffet style. Most men find the food to be seasonal, hearty, and very tasty. For a complete description of the lodging options see the registration form at the bottom of this webpage and for pictures of the accommodations please click here for St. Dorothy’s facilities webpage
- Retreat Activities – There is a potluck “social hour” on Friday and Saturday evenings before dinner. The “gathering” activities begin after dinner at the fire circle under the redwoods followed by additional welcoming activities for the entire group of forty to fifty men. Most men enjoy the workshop opportunities offered on Saturday, although some spend extended periods of individual “down-time” reading, sleeping, or walking. The schedule allows for plenty of time for fellowship in music, entertainment, laughter, games, conversation, and meals. There is also time identified for small group mediation, a contemplative walk in the woods, jam sessions, and ah hoc gatherings. We end with closing circle activities and worship that ends at Sunday noon.
Half-day Retreat Potlucks – A few times a year, ten to thirty men gather at UUCSR to enjoy the fellowship of men, make new friends, reconnect, share what’s happening in our lives, share what comes to mind, and share a meal together.
Men’s Support Groups – Our Men’s Retreats are not a part of the congregation’s “Men’s Support Groups” that meet on a weekly basis. For information about how to join an ongoing UUCSR men’s support group please see the “Men’s Support Groups” webpage (under the Connect & Social Activities website tabs) and/or contact Roger DeBeers.
Events – Past & Future:
- Tentative October 20-22, 2017 – 9th Annual St. Dorothy’s Rest Weekend Retreat
- October 21-23, 2016 – 8th Annual St. Dorothy’s Rest Weekend Retreat
- October 9-11, 2015 – 7th Annual St. Dorothy’s Rest Weekend Retreat
- October 3-5, 2014 – 6th Annual St. Dorothy’s Rest Weekend Retreat
- August 31, 2014 – Half-day Retreat & Potluck at UUCSR
- March 8, 2014 – Half-day Retreat & Potluck at UUCSR
- December 14, 2013 – Half-day Retreat & Potluck at UUCSR
- October 4-6, 2013 – 5th Annual St. Dorothy’s Rest Weekend Retreat
For more information – contact any of us on the Men’s Retreat Planning Committee: Andy Levine, Art Rosenblum, Chris Bell, Eric Fischer, Eric Skagerberg, Ethan Foote, Richard Senghas, Roger De Beers, Scott Miller