Planning meeting on Sunday April 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm.
We will be discussing ideas of actions we can pursue in addition to the Nomadic Shelter that will start again November 2015.
Our focus for the last six months has been preparing, joining and participating in Redwood Gospel Mission’s Winter Nomadic Shelter Program. We found the Nomadic Shelter experience to be enlightening and fun. It also confirmed that it is important to continue with and expand on the Nomadic Shelter program as there is a serious affordable housing shortage issue in Sonoma County.
Who are we?
We are a group that is interested in expanding the service/interaction/giving/support that the congregation is providing during the Saturday Morning Breakfasts for our homeless guests.
What we have done:
- Created a survey in the spring of 2014 where participants from the UU congregation could express their thoughts about providing shelter for our homeless neighbors.
- Assisted some of our Saturday morning breakfast guests in applying for free cellphones
- Wrote and asked congregants to sign letters to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors to focus on solutions to the homeless issues in our county
- Researched what other organizations are doing in Sonoma County to aid our neighbors
- Provided our congregation with information about joining the Redwood Gospel Mission in the Nomadic Shelter Program for winter 2014-2015.
- Participated in the Redwood Gospel Mission’s Nomadic Shelter one night each month with overnight guests, providing dinner and quiet activities.
What we are working on:
- How to assist Redwood Gospel Mission on expanding and improving the Nomadic Shelter Program. Increasing outreach to our homeless neighbors and other organizations that could be hosts.
- Oversee/facilitate the sheltering program one night each month this winter. Gathering and organizing volunteers for dinner preparation, serving and visiting with our guests during their stay with us.
- Assisting in the coat drive
- Some of us have joined with the other organizations to assist the Sonoma County Task work on solutions for creating safe shelter, food and sanitation for our neighbors.
- Some of us have joined with North Bay Organizing Project (NBOP) as they will be focusing on Affordable Housing issues this year.
If you would like to join us:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We meet the 4th Sunday each month at 12:45 in the Board Room.