The Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa is a progressive, inclusive spiritual community dedicated to celebrating life, empowering people, caring for one another, and helping to build a better world.
Positions Currently Available
Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa
547 Mendocino Ave., Santa Rosa, CA, 95405, 707-568-5381
Reports to: Minister
Start Date: August 2018
Compensation: Consistent with UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines
Contact: Rev. Chris Bell
- Performs assigned ministerial duties under the direction of the Minister.
- Provides leadership, and fosters the principles and values of the UUCSR congregation.
- Offers pastoral care and community building.
- Leads or co-leads worship opportunities including experimental or alternative forms of worship to help meet UUCSR goals.
- May supervise UUCSR staff or committees.
- May offer adult religious education.
- Preferred ministry experience, and a member of the UU Ministers’ Association in good standing.
- Adheres to the UUCSR Mission and Vision, and the Principles and Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- Skilled in, and passionate about, pastoral care.
- Conversant in possibilities for dynamic worship.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and demonstrated personal maturity to work with people of all ages.
- Is well-organized, strong in personal initiative, and committed to collaborative work with others.
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm for congregational life as well as compassion and empathy for those in need.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, public relations, and good time management skills.
DIRECTOR OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa (UUCSR) Director of Religious Education (DRE) is an exempt, full time position and is responsible for managing programs based on the goals and objectives developed in cooperation with the Religious Education Steering Committee. The Director of Religious Education reports to the Minister of UUCSR and participates with the following committee and staff: the RE Steering Committee, the Finance Committee, the Board of Trustees, the Music Coordinators, the Administrative Manager, the Worship Associates, and the volunteer teachers and helpers.
- Recruits, coordinates and supervises paid RE staff and volunteer teachers.
- Teaches on Sundays as required in the absence of other teachers.
- Reviews, selects and develops RE curricula.
- Plans and supervises the delivery of Religious Education lessons.
- Teaches Religious Education classes specifically designed for parents and children.
- Assigns students to classes and coordinates classroom space allocations with Administrative Manager.
- Administers and maintains curriculum resources, files, supplies, and attendance/ enrollment data.
- Develops and administers the RE budget in cooperation with the Finance Committee and RE Steering Committee.
- Serves as the Youth Group Advisor and plans, develops youth sessions and coordinates Youth Group community service activities.
- Plans and presents the “Children’s Time” during Sunday worship services.
- Provides pastoral care to parents, children and youth facing illness or crisis.
- Coordinates the Our Whole Life (OWL) sexuality education program for youth and children.
- Recruits and train mentors for the Coming of Age (COA) Program.
- Performs special projects under the direction of the UUCSR Minister.
- Prepares monthly and ad hoc reports for the Board of Trustees.
- Prepares an Annual Religious Education Report.
- Prepares Sunday announcements and newsletter articles regarding RE issues.
- Participates in Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) and district and regional activities.
- Has knowledge and understanding of Unitarian Universalism, and adheres to the UUCSR Mission and Vision, and the Principles and Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- BA Degree in Education, Religion, or related field (significant experience in education may substitute).
- Experience and/or knowledge of curriculum design and delivery.
- Experience administering and coordinating educational programs.
- Experience managing volunteers and teachers; working with committees and congregational interest groups.
- Proficient with current office computer applications.
- Experience with financial and budget management.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff members, leaders, and with many volunteers.
The Director of Religious Education works flexible hours during the weekdays and is expected to work some evenings, and must attend/work Sunday services. Work is conducted indoors, with occasional duties performed outside. The Director may be required to lift up to 30 pounds.
SALARY: Exempt, full time, $53,250 to $58,850 per year.
BENEFITS: Individual Health (Kaiser Permanente), Vision and Dental, paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Accidental Death & Disability Insurance, Long-term Disability, Retirement.
START DATE: July 1, 2018 (Negotiable)
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Attn: Human Resources, 547 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL MARCH 8, 2018
Download PDF of General Description of DIRECTOR OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION Position HERE.