A Welcoming Congregation for LGBTQQI Families & Individuals
Guided by the principles of liberal religion, Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa (UUCSR) seeks to promote the full participation of persons in all of our activities and in the full range of human endeavor without regard to their sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, racial or ethnic origin, color, sex or gender identity, age, national origin, or religious beliefs. We do not require adherence to a particular creed or interpretation of religious belief.
As part of our commitment to that welcoming spirit, UUCSR chose to complete the Unitarian Universalist Association’s (UUA) Welcoming Congregation Program. The rainbow chalice logo symbolizes our congregation’s role as an official “Welcoming Congregation” along with our pledge to:
- Affirm and promote the full participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, and intersex (LGBTQQI) people in religious life
- Reach out to members of the LGBTQQI community
We display freedom flags, international symbol of LGBT unity and diversity, proudly throughout our church and in our front window on Mendocino Avenue. Rev. Chris takes joy in being able to join loving couples in marriage, regardless of sexual orientation. He had the honor of performing his first legalized same-sex marriage in Massachusetts after that state led the way in recognizing marriage equality. Rev. Chris and the UUCSR choir have been featured participants in every Sonoma County Pride interfaith worship service.
All this is in keeping with our passionate Unitarian Universalist perspective that insists upon the sacredness of love in and for all people, and our reasoning Unitarian perspective that observes that homosexuality is a natural occurrence — seen throughout history and throughout the animal kingdom — that cannot possibly be against the will of the Creative Power, howsoever defined.
- History of Unitarian Universalist Involvement in and Support of Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Issues
- Interweave Continental:
Unitarian Universalists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Concerns
- Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Community
- Congregations Welcome Transgender People • UUWorld Magazine
- Unitarian Universalists cheer California gay marriage ruling: UU legislative ministry’s amicus brief cited in Supreme Court’s decision authorizing same-sex marriages • UUWorld Magazine
- California Unitarian Universalists celebrate same-sex marriages • UUWorld Magazine
- UUA President Celebrates California Supreme Court Ruling • Unitarian Universalist Association
- We The People, Community Organizations