Due to the passage of Proposition 8, our state constitution no longer legally recognizes marriages between same-sex couples. Unitarian Universalists ministers have been performing same-sex marriages since the 1960s. That proud tradition remains, while we continue to advocate for the legal recognition those relationships deserve.
For lesbian couples or gay couples interested in a religious ceremony, we distribute a list oflocal clergy and other religious wedding celebrants [PDF; 48KB] of various faiths who welcome the opportunity to help you celebrate your wedding as spiritual union.Congratulations and mazel tov!
A public service of Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa. Updated versions of the celebrant list are maintained at www.uusantarosa.org/celebrants, or available upon request at the County Clerk’s office. Additions and corrections are encouraged.
List updated 9/24/2008
Weddings at UUCSR/Glaser Center
NEW! Download our wedding services brochure [PDF; 716KB].
Coverage of Sonoma County’s 1st Week of Gay Weddings
Monday, June 16th
- Photo Gallery • Press Democrat
- Getting ready to wed • Press Democrat
“At Sunday’s festival in Santa Rosa, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Santa Rosa collected 75 signatures for volunteers to work toward defeating the [Limit on Marriage] ballot initiative.
- Historic Wedding Vows Taken • Press Democrat
- First gay marriage in Sonoma County • Press Democrat
- Wave of weddings for Bay Area same-sex couples • San Francisco Chronicle
- Gay Couples Wed in California • Time Magazine
“In Sonoma County, Melanie Phoenix, 47, and Terry Robinson, 48, were first in line. Together for almost 26 years, they plan to wed in August.”
- Same-sex weddings begin in California • Wall Street Journal
“In Sonoma County, Chris Lechman, 37, and Mark Gren, 42, received a marriage certificate just after 5:00 p.m. Monday from County Clerk Janice Atkinson — 15 years to the day after the two met. ‘We already looked at ourselves as married, but we’re very happy that the state is going to recognize us as equals with our [straight] colleagues and co-workers and friends,’ Mr. Lechman said.”
Tuesday, June 17th
- Just Married • Press Democrat
- Blessings & Anguish for Pastors in California • New York Times
“It was surreal to watch this and think, How can I not bless these people? I can bless a car, and I have. I’ve been asked to bless animals, children, homes, bread, grape juice, but I can’t bless a gay and lesbian couple. That’s unreal to me.”
Sunday, June 22nd
- Gay marriage issue goes from legal to spiritual: North Coast religious leaders differ over whether to perform ceremonies
- Civil Marriage Licenses & Ceremonies • Sonoma County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor
- Unitarian Universalists cheer California gay marriage ruling: UU legislative ministry’s amicus brief cited in Supreme Court’s decision authorizing same-sex marriages • UUWorld Magazine
- California Unitarian Universalists celebrate same-sex marriages • UUWorld Magazine
- UUA President Celebrates California Supreme Court Ruling • Unitarian Universalist Association